ABOUT CRAFTING FUTURES
Crafting Futures supports the future of craft around the globe. This British Council programme strengthens economic, social and cultural development through learning and access. Crafting Futures’ projects support practices and people, through research, collaboration and education.
Through international collaboration, Crafting Futures creates new networks and opportunities for shared learning between the UK and other countries around the globe. The programme supports research and education in craft, ensuring our projects are relevant and the quality of creative practice is preserved and continues to develop. Crafting Futures offers designers and artisans access to knowledge and expertise, new markets and new audiences, ensuring the value of craft is appreciated more broadly and knowledge can continue to be shared within the sector.
The programme is aligned with Sustainable Development Goals:
- SDG4: Education and training to develop skills, entrepreneurship and improve the creative quality of crafts. Research and toolkits share knowledge and expertise internationally.
- SDG5: Women artisans and communities are economically empowered and valued;
- SDG8: Youth engagement builds creativity and innovation for decent work for all and inclusive growth;
- SDG10: Reducing inequalities by uniting old and new, handmade and digital, rural and urban, cultural and economic – encouraging parity for all.
- SDG12: promotes sustainable and ethical production and consumption for environmental sustainability and circular design;
- SDG17: All projects are delivered through international partnerships and collaborative exchanges